Mike Stewart (UK) - Do you want an easier work life? A practical guide to empower patients
This workshop is a ECMT post-conference workshop.
Do you ever feel that you are working too hard? Are you exhausted at the end of your day in clinic? Do you find it challenging when trying to motivate and change people’s behaviour? Do you ever wonder if there might be an easier and more effective way of helping people?
Mounting evidence shows that healthcare workers are more than three times as likely to have experienced burnout compared to other professions since the COVID 19 pandemic.
This engaging one day course provides an opportunity to explore the causes of why clinicians burnout. You will learn practical methods to optimise patient empowerment and develop your therapeutic alliances. You will explore evidence-based educational methods to develop your communication and teaching toolkit so that you become better equipped to help guide people who become stuck, empower people who feel hopeless, and engage people who feel bored.
Most importantly, by developing your patient empowerment skills you will learn how to work less hard by shifting the focus away from clinician led healthcare and moving towards a more collaborative, patient led approach.
This course will help you develop a range of engaging, practical skills. You will learn ways to apply practical solutions to everyday clinical challenges.
- Explore the causes of clinician burnout in clinical practice.
- Develop your understanding of what patients want from healthcare providers.
- Understand the barriers to developing empowerment in clinical practice.
- Expand your teaching toolkit by exploring practical solutions to optimise patient engagement in physical rehabilitation.
- Develop communication skills through practical, collaborative methods to help patients express their experience of pain.
- Learn practical methods to facilitate behaviour change, motivation & shared decision making.
- Explore a variety of patient case studies that give you the opportunity to use what you have learnt before returning to your clinic.
- Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy: Manual Therapy (MSK MT)
- Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy: Sport (MSK SPORT)
- This course will be given in English
- This course is assigned by PQK with 14 accreditation points